[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Tue Jan 18 22:36:18 MST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 22:42, Michael Adam <obnox at samba.org> wrote:
>> >     To setup winbindd for user and group lookups plus authentication from a domain controller use something like the following setup\&. This was tested on an early Red Hat Linux box\&.
>> >

>> Do you have a sample of generated smb.conf(5) with this patch applied?
>> I'm worried about list items not being aligned properly in some
>> situations (this is what .RE is for in troff).
>
> I understand your concerns.
> This seems to be precisely what the above diff is all about:
> Making the insertion of the .RE conditional. I do not quite
> understand the condition though, maybe you can explain.
Here is what groff manual says:
Macro: .RE [nnn]
    Move the left margin back to level nnn, restoring the previous
left margin. If no argument is given, it moves one level back. The
first level (i.e., no call to RS yet) has number 1, and each call to
RS increases the level by 1.

Coupled with conditional next-sibling::listitem, the xslt makes .RE
only inserted only in situations when next element on the same level
in the flow is also a list item. As next list item will start with .RS
command (move the left margin forward), .RE restores after current
list item. If next the next element on the same level is not a list
item, you should continue with the same left margin.

I guess it was introduced to allow something like this:
<itemizedlist>
<listitem>option X
<itemizedlist>
   <listitem>foo</listitem>
    text continues
   <listitem>bar</listitem>
   new text continues
</itemizedlist>
another text line
</listitem>
</itemizedlist>

Where correct result is
----------------------
- option X
  * foo
    text continues
  * bar
    new text continues
  another text line
----------------------

By making .RE uncondinitional you would move continuations at - level
which is wrong. This can be seen in the description of any option that
includes lists (passdb backend, wins hook, for example). There the
text after internal itemized list is moved way to right, to the level
of the option heading.

> I think the definition of the itemizedlist/listitem in our
> man.xsl was originally taken from a development verison of
> teh docbook style sheets. So I guess this is a bugfix in the
> style sheets.
Yes.

> I'll attach the manpages smb.conf.5 generated with the
> docbook version (current master) and with the old man.xsl
> version (before my commit). The diff is precisley 31 occurences
> of ".RE". In the manpage viewer, it seems that this does
> indeed introduce a bug, namely when a list item is closed
> that is not in the top level.
>
> So what do you suggest?
>
> I would like to achieve two things:
>
> (1) keep the manpages correct
> (2) be able to build on "older" platforms (e.g RHEL5)
>    i.e. against docbook xsl 1.69 or older
My only suggestion would be to have the same macro as we had before
extended to be self-contained so that if would work regardless of the
docbook version. I'll look at that during next weekend.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy