Samba 4 - very long login time on Windows 7

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Tue Jan 18 13:29:43 MST 2011

On 18/01/2011 21:30, fatman at crackmonkey.us wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> I'm happy to report great success with Samba 4 alpha 15 on Ubuntu Lucid
> LTS with two Windows 7 Ultimate clients. :D
>
> I notice though that my two workstations are taking ~10 minutes to log
> in. On both systems, Event Viewer shows event IDs 6005 and 6006 each
> occurring twice during login.
>
> 6005 is "The winlogon notification subscriber<x>  is taking long time to
> handle the notification event (Logon)", where x is Profiles in the
> first instance and GPClient in the second on both systems.
>
> 6006 is "The winlogon notification subscriber<x>  took y second(s) to
> handle the notification event (Logon)", where x is Profiles in the
> first instance and GPClient in the second on both systems, and y varies
> but is around about 90 seconds in the first instance and 300 in the
> second.

Try to add this
host msdfs = yes in the [default] section of your smb.conf it will
activate the DFS referral support from Samba4 if it didn't help please
provide us tcpdump traces between your s4 server and your client (1 is
sufficient). See http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets for how
to make a trace.

Matthieu.

--