Profile directory/user SID mismatch

Angelos Oikonomopoulos angelos.oikonomopoulos at fp-commerce.de
Tue Jan 18 08:43:22 MST 2011

Hello all,

recently, the VM with my Samba4 domain controller had to be forcefully
terminated. After that, I discovered that 2 of the profile directories
have an owner_sid that differs from the objectSid of the respective
user. As a result, those two users get logged in with a temporary profile.

It's just the last part of the SID that's different: 1114 vs 1263 and
1171 vs 1262. 1114 and 1171 do not correspond to existing users. Note,
however that I'm not sure that the crash was the cause of the problem.
These user accounts are not very active, so the only thing I know at the
moment is that ACL issue wasn't there on January 12th. Besides, there
was nobody using the server when the crash occured.

My first question is, how could this have happened? Is it a bug in the
filesystem perhaps? I'm using ext3 with user_xattr as described in the
Samba4 howto. I'm not sure how ext3 stores extended attributes, but I
assume the EA on the profile dirs never change during normal operation,
so I can't imagine that ext3 could have corrupted them (at least not
without evident large-scale fs corruption).

My second question is much easier to answer: exactly how does one set
the NT ACL on a filesystem object? The usage information from samba-tool

# /usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool acl nt set
Usage: net set <acl> <file> [--xattr-backend=native|tdb]
[--eadb-file=file] [options]

is not very clear to me and I can't easily tell from the source how to
specify a new value for the owner_sid. Is there an example somewhere
that I have missed? (checked the wiki and also searched the list
archives for a bit).

This is with Samba4 from November 16th.

Thanks in advance,
Aggelos