Regarding AUTH_CRAP and NTLMv2

Narendra Kumar S.S ssnkumar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 02:53:45 MST 2011

Hi,

    I am trying to write a program, which does AUTH_CRAP and gets the
session key.
    With NTLMv1, the AUTH_CRAP gets a successful response and can get the
session key.
    But, with NTLMv2, the AUTH_CRAP fails.

    For doing this experiment, my setup is like this.
    1. I have a windows 2003R2 server with AD/DC.
    2. I am running winbindd on my Ubuntu box and execute smbclient from
there.
    3. I capture the network trace and copy the challenge, lm response, nt
response, encrypted password, username, domainname and workstation name.
        I am putting all this info in the request packet and sending to
winbindd - this is done from a third computer running Centos 5.4 (this m/c
has also joined the domain using net ads join and running winbindd).
    If the nt response is of length 24 (that is NTLMv1), the AUTH_CRAP
returns a success.
    If the nt response is greater than 24 (that is NTLMv2), the AUTH_CRAP
returns a failure.

    So, does Windows 2003R2 server expects any other information other than
the things that I am sending?
    How can NTLMv2 fail, while NTLMv1 succeeds!?

Warm Regards,
Narendra

Visit my blogs at:
http://ssnarendrakumar.blogspot.com/