DFS of XP Clients with security = ads

Olaf Flebbe samba at oflebbe.de
Fri Jan 14 03:43:48 MST 2011

Hi

we experience a serious problem with samba 3.4 und 3.5 with security=ads
in our own network infrastructure.

The DFS Shares on samba do not work for Windows XP CLients  as expected.
Expected is that we can cross the DFS junction points (or whatever they
are called) and the client connects to the server it is redirected to.
Expected also is that the "DFS" tab in the right click properties on the
share on the windows client is there. What I see: The symlinks (junction
points) are there but they cannot be crossed. The DFS Tab is missing.

Interestingly Windows 7 Clients in the same domain work as expected.

A DFS served by an stand alone samba server works (security = server)
with Win7 and WinXP.

The reason I am posting before submitting an error report is: Is there
something obvious which I might have overlooked, I have to test or have
to enable in order to help me (or someone else who might be interested
in this problem) debug this nasty thing? A quick network sniff showed me
that the DFS protocol is rather non-obvious to understand. If I remember
correctly the WinXP client does not even try to speak DFS to the server,
or fails very early.

Cheers
   Olaf