[Samba] Samba4 with python2.7 and python3

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 07:07:12 MST 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 21:10 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 18:05 +0800, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> > Apologies, but as I mentioned I'm compiling samba4.0.0alpha13
> > specifically (instead of current alpha14) because that's what is
> > required by openchange.
>
> OK, but OpenChange should be able to work with the current GIT tree too
> (we do test this), and that's what any fix would need to be relative
> to.

I will first get this working somehow and then try on current GIT.

> > With regards to your response, I'll try to refine my simple sed to avoid
> > the files there (specifically, I should only touch .py files and various
> > other specific files like configure.ac).
> >
> > Also, we're on python2.7, which is not much of a difference from 2.6 for
> > this issue of course.
> >
> > Most other software (that I know of, which isn't very many) simply
> > respect the PYTHON env variable.
>
> Where should this be set, and what should it be set to?  It's not set on
> my Fedora 14 system for example.  Can you point me at the specification
> that suggests that this is the 'right' way to find python?
>
> '/usr/bin/env python' was the 'right' way to find it for quite some
> time, which is why I ask.

My understanding (as a USER from Arch) is that it must be set manually
prior to ./configure, make, make install for most packages. Thus it
would mainly be the packager's responsibility. I do not have the
expertise to say anything more on that.