[Samba] Samba4 with python2.7 and python3

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jan 12 02:52:17 MST 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 08:49 +0200, Michael Wood wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've copied this message to samba-technical where issues like this
> with Samba 4 should be discussed while it is still in alpha.

Indeed, this is where any development issue such as 'how to make Samba
compile on a system that has depricated python2' should be discussed.

> On 12 January 2011 01:23, Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Arch Linux (a rolling release distro) has updated to python3 a while
> > back. python2 is still installed in parallel, but part of the
> > ramifications of this move is the following:-0
> > 1. /usr/bin/python points to /usr/bin/python3 instead of /usr/bin/python2
> > 2. /usr/bin/python-config points to /usr/bin/python3-config instead of
> > /usr/bin/python2-config
> >
> > I'm having problems with make for samba4 (am installing it to be able
> > to install openchange->evolution-mapi. Initial problems were simply
> > that various scripts don't reference the PYTHON env variable, so I ran
> > a sed as follows:-
> >  sed -i -e "s|/usr/bin/env python$|/usr/bin/env python2|" \
> >         -e "s|python-config|python2-config|" \
> >         -e "s|bin/python|bin/python2|" \
> >    $(find ${samba-4.0.0alpha13 -type f)
> >
> > This gets me all the way past configure, but now I have this error:-
> >
> > 'configure' finished successfully (29.915s)
> > WAF_MAKE=1 ../buildtools/bin/waf build
> > Waf: Entering directory
> > `/var/abs/local/aur/samba4/src/samba-4.0.0alpha13/source4/bin'
> > Checking project rules ...
> > Project rules pass
> > Waf: Leaving directory
> > `/var/abs/local/aur/samba4/src/samba-4.0.0alpha13/source4/bin'
> > find_or_declare found a source file where a build file was expected
> > 'lib/Parse/Pidl/IDL.pm'
> > make: *** [all] Error 1
> >    Aborting...
>
> I can't find where that message is printed.

My best guess is that this is caused by pidl regenerating some of it's
files after the rules where changed by your sed script.

First try again with the current GIT tree, and then let's see if we can
some up with a sensible way to handle this.  What is the right way to
find python 2.6 on all systems?  What is done for other packages - Samba
must not be the only software not yet to move to python3?

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.