Buildfarm Freebds

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Thu Jan 6 11:28:08 MST 2011

On 05/01/2011 11:26, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 02:02:01PM +1030, Indexer wrote:
>> I am just looking at some more to do with samba and your
>> build farm. I have noticed two obvious glaring issues. The
>> first is that your Freebsd is 7.2, which is no longer
>> supported ( you should move up to 7.3 which is legacy prd)
>>
>> The other is the lack of 8.1 FreeBSD machines. Is there a
>> specific reason for this absence?
> No, there isn't. The build farm boxes are provided by
> volunteers. We (SerNet in this case) run quite a few boxes,
> but many are run by people with no other link to Samba than
> just the build farm box. Nobody so far has put up a FreeBSD
> 8.1 box and offered it to us.
>
> It's pretty easy to set up such a box, see
>
> http://build.samba.org/instructions.html
>
> Essentially you need a box with some juice that can rsync
> out, that's all. If you have a very obscure platform
> (FreeBSD certainly is not that...), at times it might be
> extremely helpful if you could let a developer look at the
> box directly, but that's rare.
Well I would argue that it's interesting that you let on request a team
member to connect as sometimes fixing tests on OS not used by most of
the developer (read debian/ubuntu/fedora) can be challenging sometime.
Also I would recommend running the script 1 or 2 times to see if you
have errors so that we don't starts with already too much broken build
server.

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou