Olf fashioned 'anonynous' FTP 'incoming' directory

Dirk-Willem van Gulik Dirk-Willem.van.Gulik at bbc.co.uk
Thu Jan 6 10:34:00 MST 2011

On 6 Jan 2011, at 16:59, TAKAHASHI Motonobu wrote:

> 2011/1/7 Dirk-Willem van Gulik <Dirk-Willem.van.Gulik at bbc.co.uk>:
>> Was looking for FTP style incoming directory functionality in CIFS (windows or unix).
>
> Does the settings below help you?
>
> -----
> [incoming]
>  path = /some/where/incoming
>  writeable = yes
>  inherit owner = yes
>  force create mode = 444
>  hide unwriteable files = yes
> -----
>
> # chmod 1777 /some/where/incoming
> # chown root /some/where/incoming

Hmm - trying this gives me a denied on the very mount itself (due to the 1777 of the directory). And looking at the log level all:99 output - that is because /ssome/where/incoming does not allow opendir() by the default smbd daemon.

Note that the actual use case I am after is a bit different (and accomplish with said patches) - what I need is actually this

Mountpoint:	[/data]

Containing a bunch of files and a directory '/assets/'.

		/data/assets/<uuid1>/...
		/data/assets/<uuid2>/...
		/data/assets/<uuid3>/...

where I do not want people to be able to 'discover' or learn the UUID's - but any entity which knows the UUID can see

		/assets/uuid/<files>

from the above mountpoint. Which on posix you'd accomplish with the same trick as the ftp-incoming.

Dw