NTLMSSP NTLM2 packet check failed due to invalid signature!

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jan 5 20:31:59 MST 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-05 at 17:39 -0600, Taylor, Jonn wrote:
> This is what I did.
>
> [root at pdc source4]# rm -fR /usr/local/samba/bin
> [root at pdc source4]# rm -fR /usr/local/samba/sbin
> [root at pdc source4]# rm -fR /usr/local/samba/lib
> [root at pdc source4]# rm -fR /usr/local/samba/modules
> [root at pdc source4]# make install
>
> FYI.. found 1 more problem, but it is only on 1 server.
>
> [Wed Jan  5 17:36:45 2011 CST, 0
> ../../libcli/auth/ntlmssp_sign.c:236:ntlmssp_check_packet()]
> NTLMSSP NTLM2 packet check failed due to invalid signature!
> [Wed Jan  5 17:36:45 2011 CST, 0
> ../../libcli/auth/ntlmssp_sign.c:236:ntlmssp_check_packet()]
> NTLMSSP NTLM2 packet check failed due to invalid signature!

These are normal.  The error crept back in when I merged the Samba3 and
Samba4 code in this area.  The problem is (we think) that some windows
clients negotiate signing of the connection, but actually seal it.  We
have to try one, then the other, but by then the error has been
printed.

I just need to change the debug level again.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.