Code to replace the unexpected.tdb file

Wed Jan 5 04:35:47 MST 2011

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 10:17:28PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > It replaces it
> > with a unix domain socket /tmp/.nmbd/unexpected where nmbd
> > delivers specific packets requested by for example nmblookup
> > and winbind.
>
> Is there a particular reason the pipe needs to be in /tmp/.nmbd?  The
> clients that intend to use this will be samba processes, that have
> already read the smb.conf, so can't this be in lockdir or similar?

I modeled that after the winbind pipe. And maybe if that
info is accessible easily, wine might be interested, too.

I've considered to add more functionality in the future,
like for example also sending packets via that pipe and not
via the messaging_send mechanism.

Another pipe might be something like /tmp/.nmbd/nameregister
which might allow a client (wine?) to send a netbios name to
register and send/receive datagrams for this name. For the
session service we would have to hook into smbd also, but
the tevent_req infrastructure we have now should make this
pretty easy in nmbd these days.

Not sure if anything of this is relevant these days though,
but it's a nice little excercise :-)

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9