Installation (nearly) successful (Version 4.0.0alpha15-GIT-659bb64)

Indexer indexer at internode.on.net
Sat Jan 1 08:21:58 MST 2011

On 02/01/2011, at 00:13, Jonathan Robinson wrote:

> I thought I'd have a play with Samba 4 (alpha15), and set up a virtual
> machine using VMWare server with an installation of Ubuntu 10.10.
>
> Came across these nice instructions:
>
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO
>
> and followed them.  Hit a few problems with Apparmor but these are all
> solved now.  My current issue is running:
>
> host -t A samba.nt.jonathansweb.me.uk.

I had a similar issue earlier. Try running dig samba.nt.jonathansweb.me.uk. axfr

You will likely see something like

samba.nt.jonathansweb.me.uk.nt.jonathansweb.me.uk.

If so, go into you bind zone file, and add a trailing . to every hostname entry you find ie

samba.nt.jonathansweb.me.uk

becomes

samba.nt.jonathansweb.me.uk.

That should fix it right up. I had the same issue and i thought it was just my server playing up, so perhaps it is a bigger issue.....

> to which I get:
>
> Host samba.nt.jonathansweb.me.uk. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
> I've looked through /var/log/messages and can't find any new error messages
> related to bind.
>
> I skipped this error and thought I'd run through the rest of the
> instructions to see what would happen.  Everything else worked up to after
> joining the domain.  Managed to successfully join a Win 2008 R2 machine but
> it won't login.  Error message is: "There are currently no logon servers to
> service the request".
>
> Any help would be appreciated :o)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonathan