Ideas on using locking.tdb from Netatalk to implement combined share mode database

Frank Lahm franklahm at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 23 08:06:00 MST 2011

Dear hackers,

I'm in the process of a decent rewrite of certain Netatalk (Opensource
AFP filserver) subsystems. One of them is acess/deny mode subsytem
which is the AFP pendant to share modes in CIFS. We're currently
storing these as brls -- an ancient but working hack.

I'm now about to rewrite this stuff to use a tbd database. In order to
have a fully spec conforming cross-platform server (Samba for Win
clients, Netatlak for AFP clients) it would be necessary to integrate
both sytems.

So I went ahead poking around in source3, hoping I could find a way where
- Netatalk's afpd processes would be able to use Samba's locking.tdb
(if configured to do so)

I've found "include/smb_share_modes.h" and libsmbsharemodes which look
promising.

Semantic differences [1] let aside for now, could this approach work out!

Thanks!

-f

[1] <http://bit.ly/gMTOMt>