[Samba] Samba Cross-Compilation Problem

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Wed Feb 23 04:27:53 MST 2011

On 23/02/11 06:46, Michael Wood wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 22 February 2011 17:29, Richard Sharpe<realrichardsharpe at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 4:29 AM, Michael Wood<esiotrot at gmail.com>  wrote:
> [...]
>>> It's not rocket surgery ;)
>> Well, yes and no. For example:
>>
>> You suggested ./configure --host=arm-linux --prefix=/home/hitesh/samba/samba-05
> Yes, but I only meant to highlight the --host part.  The rest was
> directly from the ./configure command he was already using.  Of course
> using --prefix like that is probably not the right way to go, but that
> was a separate issue.
>
>> However, --prefix has to be correct as well, as it is the location
>> that the built programs are going to reside on the 'target' and he
>> should probably use something --prefix=/usr/local or --prefix=/opt or
>> whatever path he wants on the final target, and then when moving
>> things to the staging directory, use 'make install
>> DIR=/path/to/staging/dir' (I have forgotten the actual magic
>> incantation so that is only approximately correct). This is because he
> As I said in my initial reply:
>
>    So, try with just --host=arm-linux.
>
>    You might need more than the above to solve your problem, though.

Hitesh; when I was cross-compiling I had trouble convincing the build
system that the python it was using for build operations was not the
same release of python that it should be linking to. In the end I
failed, but as the target architecture was similar I partially installed
the target python in the build environment and used it also as a build
tool.

How do you manage that problem?

Sam
--