samba4 re-read smb.conf

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Feb 22 13:50:36 MST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 12:47 +0000, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> samba4 doesn't seem to re-read smb.conf in any circumstance, not
> periodically, when smb.conf has changed or on any kind of signal.
>
> Is this by intent? Or a consequence of libtevent and difficulties of
> attaching signal handlers?

It was intentional, in that Samba4 tried to make the interactions around
loadparm simpler etc, and also per-context.  The issue is that each of
the potentially multiple contexts needs to read the smb.conf, and we
would need to register a signal handler operation for each.  This can be
improved however, and in practice we only have one smb.conf.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.