make test in source3 should now be reliable

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Feb 22 00:11:43 MST 2011

Just a heads-up to please look over the new 'make test' in the source3
directory in master.  I've reworked the test generator in python, and it
now ensures that tests run and pass.

The move to python was required because it just wasn't possible to
decouple the environment variables that were eventually to be
substituted with those in the shell environment at the time the planning
script was executed.

The flexible python environment (with it's variety of possible quote
styles) also makes it much easier to prepare lists of tests, even when
they have strange characters in them.  That said, it is possible I may
have missed some tests.  (I already know I've added a number that
previously didn't run due to errors in their planning).

Similarly, the testit() functions collided and generally caused much
confusion.

Hopefully the new script makes it clear that tests.py does not actually
run the tests, only plans for selftest.pl to run them.

Please feel free to ping me about any issues you have with the Samba3 or
Samba4 test subsystems, as I'm now rather more familiar with them than I
was before...

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.