combined s3/s4 build - initial build working

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Wed Feb 16 00:13:15 MST 2011

Hi All,

As we mentioned last week, Andrew and I have been working towards a
single top level build that builds all the current s3 binaries as well
as all the s4 binaries.

We reached a milestone with that today, where we now have it building
all the binaries, and preliminary tests show that both sets of
binaries are functional. We haven't tested all functionality, but the
basics work (eg. bin/smbd, bin/nmbd, bin/samba, authentication etc).

If anyone would like to try it out, please checkout the toplevel-wip
branch in:

  git://git.samba.org/tridge/samba.git

You then configure and build in the top level directory, and you will
get both the s3 and s4 binaries in bin/.

For binaries that have common names, the tree currently adds a '3'
suffix to the s3 ones. So it builds a bin/smbclient3 and a
bin/nmblookup3 for example. For each binary we need to discuss which
ones we actually want to package as part of a future 4.0
release. Please don't assume that the fact that we renamed the s3 ones
means that it will be the s4 ones that go into 4.0.

Internally, we renamed conflicting subsystems on a case by case
basis. For example, all the s4 auth subsystems were renamed to be
auth4_XXX, as that will minimise disruption with existing smb.conf
files for production s3 systems that refer to particular auth modules
by name. Some other subsystems instead got a '3' suffix where that was
simplest.

Note that this work does not currently include the 's3compat' work
which aimed to allow bin/samba to use the s3 file server. We're trying
to keep that separate, and are just aiming for the moment to get a
single build of the two sets of binaries, while keeping them working.

We're hoping that this will be merged into master fairly soon (maybe
in the next week or so?) so please have a look.

Cheers, Tridge