unable to join ADS "network path was not found"

David Lindauer david at otlayi.com
Fri Feb 11 17:15:26 MST 2011

We've got Samba4 running well serving shares and handling AD logins.
When we're trying to connect 2 new Windows 7 PCs to the domain, which
has worked previously and the rest of the computers are connected, it
fails with "network path was not found".

I have ran it through Wireshark  shows 2 x SMB_NETLOGON requests to the
server, then 3 x responses from the server showing "SAM Active Directory
Response - user unknown", then 2 x more logon requests, and then 3 x
"Active Directory Response to SAM LOGON request".  It takes a minute to
come back with the error, the login is valid and I've tried a few
different ones.

Looking at samba interactively on a high debugging level, I see several
entries right around the time it fails:

Received dgram packet of length 241 from 10.1.1.206:138
netlogon request to MYDOMAIN<1c> from 10.1.1.206:138
gendb_search_v: CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mydomain,DC=com
(objectClass=site) -> 1
added interface ip=10.1.1.1 nmask=255.255.255.0
added interface ip=1.2.3.4 nmask=255.255.255.240

I tried reverting several smb.conf settings back, none of the changes
seems to have any impact on devices being able to join the active directory.

--
David Lindauer
Director of Operations