Migrating S4 DC

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Sat Dec 31 05:17:18 MST 2011

Hi,

Some sidenotes/answers inline:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for the insights so far.
>
> As far as I understand things:
> 1) I can use the built-in replication - but what about GPOs? Will they
> propogate to the backup DC as well?
GPOs have an in directory and a file part (in the SYSVOL share). The in
directory part is replicated via DRS replication. The file part is not
(until FRS gets implemented)
> 2) Files (profiles and shared files) will have to be done manually, as will
> the permissions. A hassle, but nothing unmanageable
> 3) S3 isn't ideal for an AD set up since the configuration of the file
> permissions will have to be done from smb.conf - I'd prefer to do it all
> from the Windows management tools (I know, I know...)
The file permissions are perfectly manageable via the explorer
properties sheets.
The share permissions also can be managed from mmc with a little work.

Regards

Geza