[PROPOSAL] Require builtin or system krb5 libs

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Dec 31 02:58:34 MST 2011

Back in October, I wrote the the list suggesting that we should adopt an
explicit policy that we require at least some level of Kerberos support
to build Samba:

On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 21:03 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> I would actually like us to consider if there are systems that we care
> about without krb5-devel, and which cannot use the waf build.  If we
> could always expect at least some kind of Kerberos library (internal or
> system heimdal from the waf build, or any system from autoconf), we
> could make our code much simpler in parts.

I would like to make that a firm proposal.  For me at least, Samba both
3.5.11 and current master do not compile without krb5-devel.  As such,
it seems no testing is done on systems without a kerberos library, and
our users have not been inconvenienced by this requirement.

Therefore, as we have a way to build Samba without a system kerberos
(the waf build), I would like us to require that users either build with
waf, or build with a system krb5-devel.

Doing so would remove a lot of dead, untested #ifndef HAVE_KRB5 stub
functions, and make our code easier to follow and simpler to develop.

What do others think?