Gratuitous change from init_samba_module to samba_init_module in master considered bad ...

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Dec 31 02:36:43 MST 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 21:14 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 07:23:58PM -0800, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It seems that in this commit, or there abouts:
> > http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=commit;h=7d33ec3dfe78723d62f4941684060baeb9c4bda6
> >
> > changed the name of the module init function from init_samba_module
> > (which it was in Samba 3.5.x and 3.6.x) to samba_init_module. (I think
> > I have that correct.)
> >
> > While all Samba VFS modules that are shared objects will be shielded
> > from this change, all static modules will be forced to make changes
> > that should not be needed.
> >
> > Did we really need to make that gratuitous change?
>
> And if not, shall we put it back the way it was ? :-)

The original change was discussed on the list, as part of a package of
changes to put all our module related functions in one namespace.  The
change of the #define SAMBA_INIT_MODULE and it's value
"samba_init_module" were discussed at the time.

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2011-October/080070.html

Now, part of that change has since been reverted - samba_modules.h is no
longer a public header, and OpenChange simply implements it's own
modules loading.

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2011-December/080737.html

I have no particular attachment to samba_init_module or
init_samba_module, the change was simply to have a single consistent
namespace.

As a background, with all the other changes, particularly those required
for the waf build (no undefined symbols are permitted, must link against
the Samba libraries, VFS/auth/passdb interface changes), it seemed the
init function name would not be a particularly difficult burden.