samba4 from BDC to PDC

Daniele Dario d.dario76 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 02:41:43 MST 2011

On Tue, 2011-12-27 at 23:15 +1100, Amitay Isaacs wrote:
Hallo Amitay,

> Hi Daniele,
>
> On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Daniele Dario <d.dario76 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > About the ability to add records to the fwd zone, if I use the windows
> > AD DNS editor, I can add the records but after a refresh the records
> > disappear.
>
> This was a problem because the rank of the DNS settings was not set correctly.
>
> > Today I tried to add records using samba-tool dns add and now the
> > records appeared also in the windows AD DNS editor and it seems that
> > they are OK.
>
> Did you update to the latest source? It has a patch to fix the rank of the DNS
> records.
>
> > To use your patches, is it better if I create a new samba4 DC and join
> > it to the domain than try to add the reversed zone (this to avoid to
> > loose the DC we are currently using)?
>
> Yes, that would be better. That way it won't disrupt the working DC.
>
> > About the zone updates: if I include in named.conf.local the samba
> > provisioned named.conf.update update-policy (using the include directive
> > or directly copying the content of the file) named won't start.
> > With DLZ don't I need to spec the update policy?
>
> What is the error when you specify the update-policy? Without error report it
> is difficult to figure out what's going wrong.
>

> > Regards,
> > Daniele
> >

> Amitay.
I'm setting up another VM with the latest git sources of samba4.
When I'm done with the build, should I run the samba-tool domain join to
join as another DC on the domain or should I run samba-tool vampire to
synchronize the new DC with the other one?
On the new DC do I have to prepare also bind9+DLZ or am I supposed to
work only with the one on the PDC?

Sorry for the silly questions but this is my first experience.

Regards,
Daniele