samba4 from BDC to PDC

Daniele Dario d.dario76 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 08:18:21 MST 2011

2011/10/27 Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>

> On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 09:26 +0200, Michael Wood wrote:
> > On 24 October 2011 19:01, Gémes Géza <geza at kzsdabas.hu> wrote:
> > [...]
> > >>
> > > Recently there was a tread about some updates for samba dlz module to
> > > allow dynamic ptr zones:
> > >
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2011-October/079834.html,
> so
> > > maybe you should try a recent git pull?
> >
> > I think he's saying that the reverse DNS is working correctly, but the
> > forward DNS is not working.
> >
> > Anyway, it looks like he has those patches already, since he's running
> > 4.0.0alpha18-GIT-3ae478b.
> >
> > If you're using the DLZ module, are you still supposed to run
> samba_dnsupdate?
>
> Yes.  This updates whatever DNS server is in use with the name changes
> or additions.
>
> Andrew Bartlett
>
> --
> Andrew Bartlett                                http://samba.org/~abartlet/
> Authentication Developer, Samba Team           http://samba.org
>

> Hi all,
my sbs2003 definetly crashed and samba4 has been able to keep the network
up for a few days but yesterday, the fileserver with samba 3.4.7 stopped
allowing users to connect to the network shares.
Then I tried to set up a new VM (ubuntu 11.04 server i386) with samba4
Version 4.0.0alpha18-GIT-32317b0 and named BIND 9.9.0b1 from PPA.
I followed the instructions from samba4 howto on the wiki mixed with the
info related to bind DLZ and provisioned a new domain.

At this time all seems to be OK:
- added organization unit, users and groups
- joined computers to the domain (Win XP)
- joined fileserver with samba 3.4.7 to the domain (with some chown on the
shares)
So, what can I say? GREAT !!!

What I'm currently missing is:
- when I join a new computer to the domain, bind says
  update-security: error: client 192.168.12.49#62667: update
'saitelitalia.local/IN' denied
  database: info: samba_dlz: cancelling transaction on zone
saitelitalia.local
  and looking in the AD zone, also adding a new A record it does not work
- it is not possible to add the reversed zone

Just to be sure: I'm going to set up another machine to act as fileserver.
This machine won't be a print server so is it a good choice if I use samba4
as secondary DC and fileserver or is it better to use samba 3xx and join it
to the domain?

Thanks again for the great work and happy Chritmas.
Daniele