Samb3 migration tool and Bind-DLZ?

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 15:10:50 MST 2011

Hi Charles,

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 4:26 AM, Charles Tryon <charles.tryon at gmail.com> wrote:
> First, does the samba-tool samba3/4 migration tool build the dns tables
> like the Provision tool does?

Yes, samba-tool domain samba3upgrade will provision full AD and copy
users/groups
from s3 to s4. So it will build all the DNS tables.

> Second, I am trying to run the migration tool, and I appear to be
> generating DNS tables based on Bind-DLZ, but I'm only running bind version
> 9.7.  If I'm not mistaken, that version doesn't support DLZ.  I'm
> confused...

Yes, the current default is to generate the DNS records in AD and not
in flat file.
This is to make replication of DNS data easier and allow internal DNS server to
work in future. I would recommend using BIND version 9.8.1 and above.

There is no command line option to samba3upgrade to choose DNS backend.
If you want to stick to flat files, you can change the dns_backend from
BIND9_DLZ to BIND9_FLATFILE in upgrade.py. But it's not recommended.

Amitay.