S4 and Bind9+DLZ

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 15:55:18 MST 2011

Hi David,

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 9:21 AM, David Gonzalez Herrera
<info at dghvoip.com> wrote:

> Sorry last message empty due to a nice power outaget
>
> Hey,
>
> Long
> time no see, well I needed to implemente another OSS AD solution and
> obviously my first choice was Samba4, so I put on my samba shirt again
> and started working, after I compiled, Installed, Provision, insatlled
> BIND 9.8 as suggested I noticed that now S4 is using (or at least my git
> pull) DLZ BIND zones, so there's no way that I know of changing or
> adding a record to ther zone, unless it's from LDAP, which I don't know
> how to use very well as am no expert on OpenLDAP.
>
> So my question is
> basically composed of two things:
>
> a. How do I add or changed the zone
> if it's a DLZ zone?

You can use samba-tool dns command to manage the DNS zones, or if
you have any windows machines then you can use DNS management tool
against samba server.

> b. if a is a no-no, Is there any way to go back to
> the old "file" behavior?.

You can provision with --dns-backend=BIND9_FLATFILE.
But keep in mind that this will option will go away in future. Integration
with AD takes care of replication of DNS records across multiple DCs.

Amitay.