util.h

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Dec 4 15:58:45 MST 2011

On Sat, 2011-12-03 at 22:03 -0500, simo wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-12-04 at 12:36 +1100, Brad Hards wrote:
> > On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 10:24:52 AM simo wrote:
> > > External projects should probably always include "samba/util.h" and we
> > > should probably have a symlink from include/samba-4.0 -> include/samba
> > > so that when we get to 4.1 we do not break everything.
> > That wouldn't be sufficient. The problem was that some of the samba (installed)
> > headers included "util.h" which will work or break depending on the order of
> > the -I's in the library user.
>
> Samba headers should probably do the same :)

The only user looking for an unqualified util.h was in Heimdal looking
for the MacOS X header, and while I agree that Samba headers should be
referenced like "samba/util.h" and be unavailable simply as "util.h".
Even if we sort this out for our internal use, I would also prefer to
avoid a situation where an external user only finds the build bug on one
particular platform.

I also think we need to rethink the samba-util library and util.h -
exporting a large variety of utility functions has helped bootstrap
OpenChange, but we do need to decide which functions we really wish to
promise to provide long term and in what form, and how to handle the
impact that will have on OpenChange.