To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Lars Müller lars at samba.org
Thu Dec 1 06:51:46 MST 2011

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 09:46:13PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
[ 8< ]
> The problem is that the only smbd that works with Samba4 AD is the smbd
> in master (to get the pdb_samba4 and auth_samba4 hooks, and the correct
> version of the named pipe auth protocol).

How hard and risky would it be to make this work with 3.6.2?

If that's impossible I'd prefer to negotiate on a timeline for a 3.7
release.  Let us reserve the initial 4.0 release for the release when we
consider the merge as finished.

The whole process should be driven by our relese manager.  All also with
the goal to balance the requirements of 3 and 4 well.  I'm confident
Karo is able to handle this quite well.

Lars