To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu Dec 1 06:19:12 MST 2011

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 10:40 +0100, Kai Blin wrote:
> > On 2011-12-01 08:41, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > > It seems unfortunate that we do not have the confidence in our
> > > current smbd code or the desire to support it that we would need
> > > to break it, but if that is the price we need to pay for an AD
> > > release, I'm still happy.
> >
> > Incidentally, that's not what I think I said. [...]
>
> I agree it is not what you said.  In this thread, I have asked a number
> of my fellow team members involved in the development of the smbd file
> server to either express confidence in the current state of the file
> server, or to explain their lack of confidence.
>
> However, it seems clear (but not stated clearly) that those who would be
> called on to support that code are not willing/able/confident to support
> the release of the fileserver components at this time.

No. The point is not whether we are confident with the state
of the smbd in master. I think it has even been said (e.g. by
metze) that the state should be quite good. And when we decide
to release and fork a release branch, we still have some time
to stabilize it. No, the point is that we need to agree on the
mode of integrating the smbd file server with the main s4
samba daemon.

It seems to be consensus that the 4.0 release will sport the smbd
file server as default file server. The missing thing is how this
should be technically achieved. This is the blocking issue. Once
we agree on the on the approach, we can move forward.

Cheers - Michael