To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Dec 1 04:44:34 MST 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 12:12 +0100, Kai Blin wrote:
> On 2011-12-01 11:46, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

Thanks for clarifying the issue of the release processes.  I agree that
the concerns about the disruption and resources required for a release
of the smbd file server are reasonable, even with the minimal changes to
date.

> > The problem is that the only smbd that works with Samba4 AD is the
> > smbd in master (to get the pdb_samba4 and auth_samba4 hooks, and
> > the correct version of the named pipe auth protocol).
>
> No, again not what I said. As far as I understood the Univention
> folks, if they want a file server, they deploy a Samba 3.x server. If
> they want an AD server, they deploy s4AD, and don't use it as file
> server as far as possible. I don't see how you need master to support
> smbd running on a different machine.

That is what I would recommend, however it is not how I read Metze's
description of the Univention setup:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2011-November/080624.html