To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Dec 1 03:46:13 MST 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 10:40 +0100, Kai Blin wrote:
> On 2011-12-01 08:41, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>

> > It seems unfortunate that we do not have the confidence in our
> > current smbd code or the desire to support it that we would need
> > to break it, but if that is the price we need to pay for an AD
> > release, I'm still happy.
>
> Incidentally, that's not what I think I said. My suggestion to break
> smbd et al for the AD server release was to accommodate for the fact
> that we're not planning to make this a file server release, and
> breaking smbd is the clearest way to signal this to people. I would
> think that smbd is in as good a shape in master as the AD parts are,
> seeing how they get identical testing. It's just that so far the
> release process for the file server was not "take whatever happens to
> pass autobuild right now", so I was trying to allow for that.

I agree it is not what you said.  In this thread, I have asked a number
of my fellow team members involved in the development of the smbd file
server to either express confidence in the current state of the file
server, or to explain their lack of confidence.

However, it seems clear (but not stated clearly) that those who would be
called on to support that code are not willing/able/confident to support
the release of the fileserver components at this time.

Given that, I'm puzzled, but happy with a AD only release.

> > (While I had hoped to help them with the release, users like
> > Univention taking the bleeding edge of smbd/Samba4 integration may
> > be better served by master anyway, as that code matures).
>
> IIRC Univention uses a 3.x server for file and print serving. I don't
> see why they couldn't keep using that set-up until we release 4.0 File
> Server.

The problem is that the only smbd that works with Samba4 AD is the smbd
in master (to get the pdb_samba4 and auth_samba4 hooks, and the correct
version of the named pipe auth protocol).