To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Dec 1 00:41:35 MST 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 12:55 +0100, Kai Blin wrote:

> So basically my proposal is the following:
>
> 1. Pretty soon now, release Samba 4.0 AD Server
>  - For this release, make sure smbd/winbindd/nmbd only run #ifdef
> DEVELOPER or somesuch
>  - When releasing 4.0 AD Server, we branch of the 4.0 release branch,
> bug fixes only, unless it's features for the file server.
> 2. Once the file server is ready to release, unbreak smbd/winbindd/nmbd
>  - 4,0 release branch is now bug fixes only for all components
> 3. We get our act together and work on releasing 4.1 AD Server and
> File Server as a single release.
>
> That way we won't create the impression that we consider Samba 4.0 AD
> Server a full superset of the 3.6 features, and still get the AD
> components released soon.
>
> What do you think?
> Kai

As you would imagine, I fully support any proposal to get the Samba 4.0
AD server released for our users.

It seems unfortunate that we do not have the confidence in our current
smbd code or the desire to support it that we would need to break it,
but if that is the price we need to pay for an AD release, I'm still
happy.

(While I had hoped to help them with the release, users like Univention
taking the bleeding edge of smbd/Samba4 integration may be better served
by master anyway, as that code matures).