Samba 4 DDNS issues with Samba 3 clients

Trever L. Adams trever.adams at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 16:49:58 MDT 2011

On 08/30/2011 11:41 AM, James Gilliland wrote:
> I've recently been playing with a samba 4 domain controller and I'm having
> some issues with the Dynamic DNS registration. I have got a windows XP test
> box and it registers just fine but my linux boxes running samba 3.[56] don't
> seem able to. From what i can tell looking at the bind logs, the windows box
> sends and update, which fails, then deletes and adds the FQDN. The samba
> boxes though just send the update with some prerequisites that fail and then
> send another update this time with the actual IP and FQDN which again fails
> and it drops out.

The 3.5 is a problem in the older 3.5 code base. The fact it doesn't
work with 3.6 (based on what I have read, but not yet tried, sorry
Andrew Bartlett... I haven't yet had the time to get F16 Alpha installed
to play around since the install disks don't work for me) is likely due
to some improper setup of your DNS and the Kerberos/S4 side.

Or, on second read, it sounds like Samba 3.[56] isn't doing the deletes
on failure that Windows does.

Trever
--
"In protocol design, perfection has been reached not when there is
nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." --