Samba4 in upcoming major release of Univention Corporate Server

Arvid Requate requate at univention.de
Mon Aug 22 08:08:57 MDT 2011

Hello Samba team,

this is an OEM report from Univention. We are pursuing the ambitious goal to
include Samba4 in the next major release of our enterprise Linux distribution,
which is due to be released in November. As reported at the SambaXP'11 we had
a prototype published in February and we now published the first milestone
release of the upcomming major release (UCS 3.0 MS1). We contracted Stefan
Metzmacher/SerNet for support, e.g. regarding the sync of password hashes and
Kerberos keys between OpenLDAP and Samba4.

To our knowledge AD-servers joined into a Samba4 domain currently do not
provide propper DC (logon) functionality due to the missing Sysvol
replication. So our plans are to communicate clearly to our customers that
joining AD-Servers into an UCS 3.0 based Samba4 domain is currently not
supported. Sure this would be nice, but it's not going to be a show-stopper
for us.

An open question is the integration of file and print services. Depending on
the upstream development we might have to state that file and print services
can only be provided on member servers running Samba 3.6.x.

Are there any ideas already, what development goals will be challenged in
Alpha18? We'd be interested to make a well adviced decision as to which would
be a good point for the next upstream snapshot.

Cheers,
Arvid