Help with Samba4 as a DC

Scott Jordahl scott at jordahl.com
Sun Aug 21 14:18:20 MDT 2011

Thanks Marco:

I did watch the videos when they first came out. I have existing setups
of Samba4 acting as a PDC with no problems. Where I am struggling is
trying to get Samba4 to act as a BDC. I have folder structures on the
Samba4 server requiring restrictive ownerships for access. I am able to
set the access via the Win2k3 server. When I go to the Ubuntu server
with Samba4, all the ownerships show as "30000xx"  (where xx is a unique
identifier), which of course, is how it is suppose to be. However, I am
not able to "see" who the owner is by name. If I try to do a
"/usr/local/samba/bin/wbinfo -u", it hangs, finally times out, and the
RPC part of the samba process dies (or it could be just one of the spawn
child processes dies). The same thing is true if I try using any wbinfo
options.

When the RPC part of samba process dies (or the child), users can still
access file shares, but when you go to make a chance to file
owership/access in the windows environment, you get the message: "The
program cannot open the required dialog box because it cannot determine
whether the computer named "server01" is joined to a domain. Close this
message and try again". When you close that pop-up, you get another
pop-up with: "Unable to display the user selection dialog. The RPC
server is unavailable.". Closing the messages and trying again has no
effect of course. You must restart the samba process(es). A user not
previously logged in will not be able to log onto the domain while samba
is in the broken state.

If I run samba in single instance mode (samba -i -M single) and run
wbinfo -u, wbinfo times out and the samba process dies with: "PANIC:
internal error, Aborted". BTW - Before running the wbinfo command, I
have many successful "Replicated" debug messages displayed, so things
are working fine up to this point.

I've used alpha11 to alpha16 to the GIT from 2 weeks ago with the same
issue. I've also tried re-joining to the domain using a new
/usr/local/samba filesystem with no change (except all the UIDs changed
and I had to re-map all the user files: 500Gb worth).

-- Scott