git ref fd06cf379ded801adf830499c24875a7c60280be in master - should be in 3.6.1 ?

simo idra at samba.org
Thu Aug 18 18:17:30 MDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 17:02 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> Hi Bjorn,
>
> This fix :
>
> commit fd06cf379ded801adf830499c24875a7c60280be
> Author: Björn Jacke <bj at sernet.de>
> Date:   Thu Aug 4 16:42:37 2011 +0200
>
>     s3/ldap: delay the ldap search alarm termination a bit
>
>     do the alarm termination of the the ldap search a bit delayed so the LDAP
>     server has a chance to tell us that the time limit was reached and the
>     search was abandoned. If the search is terminated this way we also get
>     the correct LDAP return code in the logs. If alarm() stops the search the ldap
>     search routine will report that the LDAP server is down which would trigger us
>     to rebind to the server needlessly which we also want to avoid.
>

> looks like it should be something we have in 3.6.1. If you agree
> can you create a bug so we can get it back ported ?

I am not sure I understand the point of this code.
So if I set a custom ldap timeout I have to know that I shoud set it
actually 2 seconds shorter ? Seem kinda wrong to me.

How do we know that lp_ldap_timeout() is in any way related to the
server operation timeout configuration ?

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce