info on set_my_unique_id()

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Aug 16 14:33:02 MDT 2011

Hi Volker,
I am trying to understand how important it is to have a unique_id in a
new process (for spoolssd/lsassd etc..)

I see that you call set_my_unique_id() in smbd_accpet_connection() right
after sys_fork() and before reinit_after_fork()

It looks like an additional unique_id that goes beyond the pid, so I am
trying to understand when it should be set.

Should it be always reset when you fork a new process ?
In that case, should it be moved to sys_fork() ?
Alternatively could it be moved in reinit_after_fork() removing the
server_id argument and regenerating the server_id within it ?

Thanks,
Simo.

--
Simo Sorce