How to use Samba VFS for Ceph

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 09:55:36 MDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 3:43 AM,  <whooya.xxl at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi :
>  Richard, can you give me some advice of how to use Samba VFS for Ceph?
> l download your paths and then compiled the Samba source code, but l don't konw hao to write file to Ceph cluster.

Yes, I was a bit remiss in not providing more info.

It seems that you have already discovered that you need
ceph-devel-0.32-4 or something similar on your build system (there is
a bug in /usr/include/ceph/libceph.h prior to this version of
ceph-devel and the patches I sent will not build if you do not have
that version or better) which will also require ceph-0.32-4.

Secondly, once you have it built and installed, you should put
something like this in the smb.conf file for each share on a Ceph file
system:

    vfs objects = acl_xattr ceph fileid

(We use acl_xattr for storing Security Descriptors in XATTRs, which
Ceph now supports.)

However, you should note that the Ceph VFS is only needed if you are
not using the Ceph kernel client under Linux to access the Ceph file
system. If you are using the Ceph kernel client then you do not need
the Ceph VFS.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe