fedora tevent problem

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu Aug 11 04:18:59 MDT 2011

On 08/11/2011 12:10 PM, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Am 11.08.2011 11:54, schrieb Jelmer Vernooij:
>> Hi Tridge, Simo,
>>
>> Sorry for not advertising this change more broadly, I didn't realize you
>> had packages that included the brokenness.
>>
>> On 08/11/2011 04:51 AM, tridge at samba.org wrote:
>>> The simplest fix for the tevent symbol version problem on Fedora may
>>> be to remove the ABI/tevent-0.9.9.sigs file from your Fedora
>>> build. That will force all the symbols that should be 0.9.9 to be
>>> 0.9.10, which matches the previous behaviour.
>>>
>>> You'd need to keep this change forever though.
>> s/forever/until we bump the API version (libtevent-1.X)/
>>> Thanks to Amitay for the suggestion!
>>>
>>> Note that we could also just remove that file from the repo, but doing
>>> that would break any binaries that people have built against the
>>> current releases since Jelmers change in March.
>> Yeah, that would break the Debian packages. The Debian build tools were
>> what alerted me to the problem in the first place, as they didn't allow
>> me to build with removed symbols.
> Can someone explain the problem to me?

We were generating invalid vscript files, where we implied that tevent
0.9.10 was older than 0.9.9 because of the way we did sorting:

TEVENT_0.9.10 {
   global:
    tevent_set_debug;
};

TEVENT_0.9.9 {
} TEVENT_0.9.10

This meant that tevent 0.9.10 broke all existing things compiled against
0.9.9.

Cheers,

Jelmer