Logging in make test

simo idra at samba.org
Fri Aug 5 09:37:41 MDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 08:46 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 10:04 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to revert commit ea95e0967b33d75acc960b5308a667e956ba4f29.
> >
> > If we log to stdout we loose a lot of information in Samba3 like filename,
> > line of code, function name and especially the *time and date*. The logs are
> > more or less useless. If you have multiple daemons it is more or less not
> > possible to read the log correctly.
> >
> > http://git.samba.org/?p=asn/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=886ca981b27324157e492925e598b5f4b9c09574
>
> The reason this change was made is that Samba otherwise logs
> to /usr/local/samba (or whatever the prefix is) during startup of make
> test, and that's not a good idea.

I t looks like the right way here is to add an option to the smbd binary
to change the default logging directory then.

> If our stdout logging isn't useful for a developer, then it probably is
> equally useless for our end users and then we need to fix that.

Yes feel free to fix that, meanwhile though logs are useless given
samba3 doesn't use a single process model.

> Also, using a predicable filename also makes it possible for the
> selftest system to capture the server-side logs of a failing test.  (See
> getlog_env() in selftest/target/Samba4.pm and
> selftest/target/Samba3.pm).  This wasn't done properly in the past.

And it is useless in the present with samba3 as you'll find everything
mixed together.

As it stands the only way to get reasonable logging when running make
test in samba3 is to revert your patch explicitly.

I think I'd be ok if you want to make it an option for make test, but
unless you make it configurable I would really like you to revert it,
please.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce