[MAC Lion] smbclient "Open AndX Request->STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED"

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Aug 1 09:43:59 MDT 2011

Volker:  You're right to be cautious here, but I think that counting
         on a broken CIFS server to send back a correct error code is
         just as risky as counting on the CAP_NT_SMBS bit to be correct.

Sending the NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED error is correct behavior if the command
is recognized but not supported.  We made that clear in [MS-CIFS], but I
don't believe that it was clearly specified in any earlier documentation.
The use of CAP_NT_SMBS was documented earlier.

I'm not sure why CAP_NT_SMBS is there.  It's fairly silly to negotiate NT LM
0.12 and then not support the full set of NT SMB commands.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org