Make --enable-s3build the default in the top level build?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Apr 20 00:22:52 MDT 2011

I was wondering if it would be OK to make --enable-s3build the default
(no longer optional) in the top level build?  I've been building with it
for quite some time, and it seems to 'just work'.

This option enables a waf build of all of Samba, producing binaries for
'Samba3' and 'Samba4' that are linked to common shared libraries.  It is
still a work in progress, but pending only the kerberos fixes I'm
currently working out with Simo, it passes a combined make test.

The combined test is why I ask:  We currently have 4 build systems in
Samba (autoconf-s3, waf-s3, toplevel, toplevel-s3build), and I think
this is too many - I would like to reduce this to 3.

In particular, what I'm hoping is that I can write tests that test
Samba3 and Samba4 interactions without the complexity of them being
conditional.

Take for example the test metze and I have been working on to test
Samba3's winbind in a Samba4 domain.  I don't want to have to make this
important test conditional - instead I want to ensure we get this
working, and then we keep this working.

This won't impact the s3-waf build, or the autoconf build - any combined
tests will be added to the top level build only.

What do others think?