Success with Samba 4 and win2k8

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 00:49:45 MDT 2011

On 5 April 2011 08:14, Rohit Rajan <rohit.rajan at catalyst-us.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> just wanted to report a success with some issues.
>
> I have installed and configured the Version 4.0.0alpha15-GIT-f00d258 on
> Ubuntu server 10 with Python 2.6.6, "BIND 9.7.2-P3 built with
> '--with-openssl' '--with-gssapi' '--enable-threads'
> '--disable-openssl-version-check'" with functional level 2008_R2
[...]
> I have some of queries
>
> 1. when i use the command "samba-tool drs showrepl" the last line says
> "Warning: No NC replicated for Connection!" what is this and how can we
> resolve it.
>
> 2. Also the replication of sysvol will work??

This one I can answer: No.  You have to do this with e.g. rsync.

> 3. How many number of additional domains can i add to this domain controller

I assume you mean how many additional domain controllers can you add?

> 4. When i tried to add the windows server 2003 R2 to this domain using the
> dcpromo command, it did not add it and exit saying the version is not
> supported (do not have the exact message at this time)

I suppose this might be because the functional level of the domain is
2008 R2?  Maybe you could join it as a member server instead of a DC?

> 5. when i tried to remove the additional 2008 R2 domain controller from the
> samba 4 DC it ends up with the message stating "domain is very busy to
> perform the request try later"
>
> 6. also i have this following error in the windows 2008 event logs
>
>  Log Name:      Directory Service
> Source:        Microsoft-Windows-ActiveDirectory_DomainService
> Date:          4/5/2011 11:42:16 AM
> Event ID:      2142
> Task Category: Garbage Collection
> Level:         Error
> Internal processing of the Active Directory Domain Services database to
> update the Active Directory Domain Services's tracking of the state of
> deleted objects has completed unsuccessfully; errors were encountered.  This
> task must be done again.  Until this task completes successfully, objects
> may not be undeleted.  Additionally, the Recycle Bin feature may not be
> enabled.
>
>  This task is being rescheduled.  If this condition persists, manual
> intervention may be necessary.
>
>  User Action
>  If this error continues to occur, increase event logging for Garbage
> Collection for more details.
>

>  Rescheduling in %s seconds.

Does it really say "%s"?  That looks like a bug somewhere.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>