Should we keep the Samba4 LDAP backend?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Apr 1 17:39:11 MDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 16:27 +0200, Oliver Liebel wrote:
> Short: Yes.
>  From my long term experience there are many large installations in big
> size companys
> worldwide, that make extensive use of OpenLDAP as a standard LDAP,
> mostly with coexisting W2KX-ADS.
> What they all need is an S4 with an (RFC) standard LDAP-backend, or more
> exactly,
> they need an customizable, RFC-compatible LDAP-Server with
> ADS-Capabilities,
> not only a Replacement for W2K8.

Oliver,

I wanted to particularly thank you for the efforts you have put into the
Samba4 LDAP backend.  At a time when we didn't have any hope of reliable
DRS replication, your assistance in building the OpenLDAP MMR
configurations gave us some hope of a multi-master samba.

But our great efforts that have been made over many years have simply
not been enough.  The code may function for some simple deployments, but
particularly without the safety of transactions we could never recommend
it for production.

In the past year we have seen no development of this code, beyond making
the selftest partially work, and at the same time we learnt more about
how much harder this would be to finish.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.