AW: [Samba] Upgrade to Alfa13

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 29 11:11:06 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 11:59 +0200, Michael Wood wrote:
> On 29 September 2010 08:48, Matthieu Patou <mat at samba.org> wrote:
> >  On 29/09/2010 10:44, Daniel Müller wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi to all,
> >>
> >> ist a little bit confusing for me. How are the steps I must do to update a
> >> working samba 12 ads with repl. partner (samba 4 12) to samba 13 alpha?
> >
> > Hey I'm a bit confused by your question ;-) !
> >
> > Do you mean how do we do the update from alpha12.git something to alpha13
> > when you have more than 1 DC ?
>
> I believe that is what he is asking, yes.  I have also wondered the
> same thing, but have not needed to do that yet.
>
> i.e. can you just do an upgradeprovision on one machine?  Will it
> automatically replicate the changes to the other one(s)?  Or will you
> have to run upgradeprovision on them too?  Do you have to take them
> all down at the same time to run upgradeprovision on them?  Does any
> of the above change if one of the machines is running Windows?

For safety, upgradeprovision will refuse to run if it thinks there is
more than one DC in the domain.

Currently, this requires that you remove any other DC from the domain
(and their entries in the sam - the NTDS Settings, object in
particular).  This is to ensure that we don't cause inconsistancies in
the replicated domain.

As to what to do if there were windows DCs in the domain, it matters
here if we were added first, or second.  If Windows started the domain,
is is unlikely that an upgrade is required, but if an older Samba
version started the domain, then an upgrade may be required.

Once you have run upgradeprovision, you can rejoin the other DCs.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.