samba4: upgradeprovision --full fails

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Sep 27 00:17:23 MDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 00:22 -0400, srikumar 108 wrote:
> Following up on my own post:
>
> > Starting update of samdb
> > There are 1 missing objects
> > Object CN=dns-lucid,CN=Users,DC=test,DC=com will be added
>
> Upon restart, dns.keytab is now empty and hence, dns update is toast.
> I did notice that secrets.ldb now has an entry named dns-<hostname>
> after update, but there is no corresponding entry in sam.ldb.

Thanks for letting us know.

upgradeprovision is developed on a best-efforts basis in the time
between Samba releases, and may not always upgrade any arbitary GIT
revision to a new revision.

We do endeavour to make upgradeprovision work at release time, from
previous releases, but in between those times we make no promises.
(This is particularly true during periods of rapid development).

What we would ask is that when testing upgradeprovision between releases
that you get back to us with patches and analysis, rather than just
error reports.  This will assist us in continuing to handle such a large
variety of upgrade situations.

In this case, we actually made the code backward compatible *without* an
upgradeprovision, but we need to figure out the right way to have
upgradeprovision know this.

Thanks,

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.