question about service principals (samba4)

srikumar 108 srikumar108 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 16:06:51 MDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Aaron Solochek
<aarons-samba at aberrant.org> wrote:
> On 09/25/2010 03:10 AM, srikumar 108 wrote:

>> To be honest, I already have what I need with a little shell script
>> and heimdal's ktutil. However, that may not be a solution for
>> everybody (because of its dependence on heimdal's utilities). What I
>> was after was to create an user a/c, like 'smtp-speedy' and then add
>> an SPN like 'smtp/speedy.test.com' for kerberized services running on
>> other hosts (i.e. not on the DC), and which may not be running samba
>> (so I can't use existing methods like samba3's 'net ads keytab'
>> command). My thinking was, why should a web or mail server have to be
>> joined to the AD domain, shouldn't ldap and kerberos be enough?
>>

> This situation is pretty much exactly why I'd like kadmin running on the kdc.
> It is unfortunate that the protocols are different between Heimdal/MIT, and I am
> assuming that it's non-trivial to swap in MIT krb5 in the samba build, but
> kerberos doesn't imply samba, and a network could very well have machines that
> want kerberos but not samba.  It ought to be possible to set up such a machine
> using the kerberos tools it will already have, and not be required to extract
> the keys on some third machine and transfer them over.

It sounds like a possible solution for you would be to run a separate
kdc and establish a two-way trust with the domain controller. We have
something similar working. In this way, the AD servers manage the
Windows desktops, and a separate bunch of unix servers can be manged
by a unix kdc using familiar tools. Now, I know this can be with Win2k
servers, but I don't know if this can be done with samba4, or whether
that feature is planned. This can also satisfy the "we want to run our
own kdc" constituency...

Reghards,