Modifications in Windows 2k8 R2 that prevent krb5 referal in RODC setup?

Joshua Hawkinson jhawkinson at overlandstorage.com
Tue Sep 21 13:45:43 MDT 2010

Hello everyone,

Well here is a quick update -- By setting the Microsoft recommended setting ((2) service and instance, or KRB5_NT_SRV_INST (as defined in the krb5 code)) into the Kerberos libs on system seems to have worked.  Unfortunately it seems that the current krb5 code both Heimdal and MIT have this value statically assigned to name-type (1) and (0) respectively (or principal and unknown).  Microsoft seems to be a bit slicker about setting the name-type in different situations.  At any rate other than specifying a "password server" parameter in the smb.conf to the writable DC there does not seem to be a good work around.  We're testing the static (2) setting to see what -- if anything -- it breaks in our environment...

Samba folks,
As this seems to be a more generic krb5 issue; should I enter a defect into bugzilla?

--Josh