[S3COMPAT] My work in progress on s3compat

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Sep 21 05:43:38 MDT 2010

Tridge,

As I mentioned yesterday, I've done some work to get the s3compat branch
back into shape.

I've pushed it into s3compat-wip in my GIT tree.  So far it compiles,
but does not link - you would do well to work with Kai while you are at
SDC to understand better how we can leverage his waf work, and see how
we can avoid having a complete copy. (and having to keep it up to date)

The interesting thing is the small number of changes that are required
to samba3 now.  Attached is the total patch to source3/, showing the
main changes remaining being the split up of winbindd.c

Metze: when I was last working on s3compat, you wanted these changes
deffered:

http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=commitdiff;h=2b00eb36ec51af17a2149285048f83e34b4b2b46
http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=commitdiff;h=beb9d50d62ffc1356534a1c6c05a69b4c215f714
http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=commitdiff;h=80795afb5aab79c16d28cf443da0b2d4e41240e3

They remain the only major changes I need to source3/ after we got
lp_set_cmdline() in, and are a major pain to continue to rebase.  Do you
think they can be included at some point soon?  I think they are a
useful breakup of the very long winbindd.c, even if s3compat never
happens.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.