AFS token issue in samba 3.5.5? [solution]

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Sat Sep 18 02:21:39 MDT 2010

> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 08:21:47AM +0200, Gémes Géza wrote:
>
>> Could you post your patch somewhere. Or give your assigned (by bugzilla)
>> bug number. I also plan to upgrade to 3.5.5. (and also use fake-kaserver)
>>
> BTW, I'm really surprised that this is still being used. It
> was meant at the time as a pretty specialized hack... :-)
>
> Volker

Until there is something better IMHO it is the best fail-back solution.
At our site we have a samba3 (with ldap backend) domain, a heimdal
kerberos (with the same ldap backend) realm, and an openafs data store.
The windows clients authenticate to the samba3 domain, and by integrated
logon they get kerberos tickets and afs tokens, and then the logon
scripts are able to map the afs dirs at the correct drive letters. If
integrated logon or other afs components fail the logon scripts are
trying to map a share from the logon server (here comes the
fake-kaserver part into action). Btw. the netlogon share is also in afs
(replication is a non-issue ;-) ). So I think keeping fake-kaserver and
vfs-afsacl functional is crucial for sites where there is a
samba-openafs mixed infrastructure. The only better aproach I could
think about would be to "convince" windows machines to do proxiable
kerberos authentication to samba even in NT4 domain mode. However I'm
afraid that is way harder to implement than to keep fake-kaserver alive.

Geza