samldb and associated patches

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Sep 17 16:42:25 MDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 22:37 +0200, Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> please have a look at my patchset which passes "make test" on my
> development box. Branch "stuff" in my private repo on repo.or.cz and
> git.samba.org. Link:
> http://gitweb.samba.org/samba.git/?p=mdw/samba.git;a=log;h=refs/heads/stuff
>
> I hope that the commit messages are clear enough.

Do you have a test for the deleted objects behaviour?  This looks
subtle, and I would like to have metze or tridge look over it first.

s4:subtree_delete LDB module - adapt the module to support deleted
objects not under "CN=Delete Objects"
http://gitweb.samba.org/samba.git/?p=mdw/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=fe854c00d6105850f82784ce953d3de36162e438

Also, where it is so trivial, it would be kinder to developers who later
have to test this code if you could re-order these commits:

s4:rootdse LDB module - make "dsServiceName" and "serverName" dynamic
http://gitweb.samba.org/samba.git/?p=mdw/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=e30b50ca8e234c1bccdf01357ff9c64e831dc34c
s4:provision - rootdse - remove the two static attributes
"dsServiceName" and "server...
http://gitweb.samba.org/samba.git/?p=mdw/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=11d8b29103a7cbfba4b50d539cea1d26788ac2b0
s4:samdb_ntds_settings_dn - perform the NTDS settings container lookup
without the...
http://gitweb.samba.org/samba.git/?p=mdw/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=9f7826fcd38267e103181bbb54539eb73db13718
s4:samdb_ntds_settings_dn - ignore an error condition when a LDB
connection setup...
http://gitweb.samba.org/samba.git/?p=mdw/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=6ad9e2e247d4e3e67a1b39a45d6540a220b2d060

If you put these in the opposite order (easily done with a rebase as far
as I can see), then a user who happens to bisect halfway though this
code should always have this work.

To be clear:  I'm only asking you do do this where it is quite so
trivial. Sometimes it makes the patches cumbersome, or requires a major
rework, but where it is so trivial to do, I would appreciate it.

Also on s4:samdb_ntds_settings_dn - perform the NTDS settings container
lookup without the...
http://gitweb.samba.org/samba.git/?p=mdw/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=9f7826fcd38267e103181bbb54539eb73db13718

This seems to do a unindexed search on dnsHostName.  We should avoid
unindexed searches in routines such as this - and I fear that soon
someone will request that likewise dnsHostName be made dynamic.  Perhaps
instead search for our samAccountName based on the lp_netbios_name(),
and follow the serverReference link?

Finally, I think we really need to break up ldap.py into more discrete
tests.  We should not continue to extend the main test here, but instead
write new tests in separate scripts, or at least separate tests in this
script.

Thanks for putting these up for review.  I look forward so signing off
on them one these details are sorted out.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.